Rogaine is a treatment for male pattern baldness. It is a non-prescription drug approved by the FDA. The active ingredient in Rogaine is Minoxidil 5%. Before you place your order, it is important to know about Rogaine pros and cons.
There are numerous advantages of using Rogaine for male pattern baldness. On the other hand, there are some severe disadvantages.
Main Ingredients of Rogaine
Knowing the ingredients on any drug will allow you to choose base on your sensitivity to the ingredients. The following are the ingredients for Rogaine;
- 5% minoxidil- the active ingredient
- Citric acid
- Alpha Hydroxyl Acid (AHA)
- Cetyl Alcohol
- Butylated Hydroxytoluene
- SD alcohol
- Stearyl Alcohol
- Lactic acid
- Purified water.
How Does Rogaine Work
The active ingredient in Rogaine is Minoxidil.
Minoxidil work by activating the prostaglandin endoperoxide synthase-1 (an enzyme that aids hair growth.)
The drug was initially for the treatment of hypertension. One of its side effects was increased hair growth in men. Scientists started experimenting with men suffering from male pattern baldness. The results were positive.
The hair growth has four cycles;
- Active growth is called the anagen stage
- The second phase is a slow degeneration of growth named catagen
- The third is the shedding of inactive hair. it is called telogen
- The final stage is when the hair is shedding. The stage is called exogen
Most men experience hair loss when they have shorter anagen phase. It occurs when the levels of DHT occur, or the production of testosterone is rapid. Rogaine helps to prolong the anagen phase, hence promoting regrowth of hair.
The Side effects of Using Rogaine
- You will experience a lot of shedding in the first few days of using Rogaine
- You are likely to experience skin flaking
- The scalp may experience some itch and irritation
- Rogaine can cause dry scalp, which also leads to the formation of dandruff
- Rogaine can cause swelling in different parts of the body including the hands, face, stomachs, and ankles
- Rogaine can cause rapid heartbeat which can be fatal to someone with cardiac problems
- It can cause difficulty in breathing and can be fatal to asthmatic patients
- When used on a pregnant woman, it can harm the fetus or cause miscarriage. That is why women should refrain from using the drug.
- Rogaine for man can cause low sex drive or erectile dysfunction. It can, therefore, affect one’s relationship.
- Since it was to treat hypertension, Rogaine can cause low blood pressure, increases, decreased, or irregular heart rate.
How to Use Rogaine
- Clean and completely dry your scalp before the application of Rogaine
- Press half a capful of Rogaine into your palm, do not shake before use.
- Massage the Rogaine directly on the scalp at the affected areas
- Let the foam air-dry. It takes approximately 10 minutes top dry completely
- To get quick results, apply Rogaine twice a day. You can use ones a day if you have limited time.
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water after application. Keep the drug away from children’s reach.
Rogaine Pros and Cons
Various studies have shown Rogaine is an effective remedy for male’s pattern baldness. We will have a look at Rogaine Pros and cons
- Rogaine is FDA approved and readily available. You can purchase it over-the-counter from a local pharmacist.
- It’s non-surgical. You only need to rub it on your scalp.
- The alpha hydroxyl acid helps in skin exfoliation. Therefore, the follicles remain open ready for the treatment.
- Rogaine pis sold in 3 packs. The cost of the three parks is discounted; therefore, it saves you some few bucks. The three packs should last you for three months. Consequently, you will not need to purchase the product every month.
- Delivery of Rogaine is discreet; therefore, you will be able to restock with ease when you are running low on the product
- Rogaine helps hair regrowth in 50% of its users.
- Rogaine acts on the vertex region where the hair if shedding
- The botanical extracts present in Rogaine helps to improve the health of the scalp
- Due to the Tricho-technology used to manufacture Rogaine, it is 25% more effective than other hair growth solutions in the market. The technology helps in reactivating the thinning hair follicles, hence encouraging healthy hair growth.
- Rogaine is safe to use alongside other hair loss treatment drugs.
- Rogaine 2% and 3% help in beard and eyebrow growth. Be careful not to get it into your eyes as you apply to the brows.
- The guide recommends you use Rogaine twice a day; however, the application process is tedious. Some other times, you will be away from the house for more than 12 hours.
- Rogaine does not offer a permanent solution to pattern baldness
- Using Rogaine can lead to undesirable side effects.
- The results take long to manifest. It will take you about four months to see a positive change.
- You cannot use Rogaine within 24 hours after chemically treating your hair.
- Rogaine takes about 2-4 hours to dry; therefore, if you apply t in the evening, you will take longer to go to bed to avoid staining your beddings.
- Once you start using Rogaine, you have to continue using it for a lifetime. When you stop using, the hair will start shedding again.
- Using Rogaine means adding it to your monthly expenses. The prices of the product fluctuate due to the market’s dynamics. Therefore, it is an expensive and draining process.
- Rogaine does not offer solution tom receding hairline; therefore, id your balding is occurring along the hairline, the hair will continue falling even after applying Rogaine.
- Women can only use Rogaine with a Minoxidil concentration of 2%. They cannot use the product while pregnant or nursing. Discontinuing the use of Rogaine will mean that their hair loss problem will continue. Women should seek alternative hair loss treatment that will not tamper with their normal lives, or pause a threat to their unborn children.
- Rogaine only works at the initial stages of hair thinning. If the hair thinning is, so advances and follicles completely blocked, you will have to look for alternative solutions like surgery.
- If you have other conditions such as thyroid problems that are causing hair loss, do not use Rogaine. Instead, address your condition through a medical practitioner.
- Rogaine does not work on everyone; if it is not effective on your hair loss problems, you will need to seek an alternative solution.
- The effectiveness of Rogaine decrease age- the effectiveness is low in people who are above 40 years.
- Rogaine can make your scalp sun-sensitive. Ensure you cover your head every time you are out on a sunny day to avoid sunburns.
- Rogaine takes longer to be effective on women’s scalp. A woman has to use it for 6 to 12 months before they determine if it is working or not. It leads to wastage of money in case it was not effective.
Myths about Rogaine
There are several Myths about Rogaine and how it works. Below are widespread myths about Rogaine hair loss treatment.
Rogaine has no Side-Effects
Rogaine is a composition of various chemicals. As we all know, all chemicals have undesirable effects on different people. The effects can be mild on one individual and severe on another.
When you are starting to use Rogaine, the side-effects are much visible than after you are used to the product.
You Cannot Dye Your Hair While Using Rogaine
There is no truth behind this claim. You can dye your hair while still using Rogaine. The only thing you are supposed to observe is the 24 hour break from Rogaine. Do not use Rogaine 24 hours after applying a hair dye or any other chemical treatment
You can Use Rogaine to Treat Baldness
Well, this is another myth. Rogaine only works by stopping hair loss and stimulating existing follicles. Complete Baldness means the follicles are closed; therefore, Rogaine cannot work in such a situation.
You should not Mix Rogaine with Other Hair Loss Treatment Products
Rogaine is safe to use with other hair loss products. What you should check is whether you can use the other product alone or alongside others,
Rogaine is a Men’s Product
In the initial years of hair loss treatment with Rogaine, men were the only users. Scientific studies have proven it is safe to be used by men. Pregnant and lactating women should take precautions when using Rogaine.
Rogaine does not affect your Hair texture and color
The fact is, Rogaine will help thicken your hair strands. It will also alter the pigmentation of your hair. You will, therefore, witness a slight change in your hair color.
There are many Rogaine pros and cons. You may never tell if Rogaine is effective on your hair loss problem if you do not try.
There is scientific proof that shows Rogaine works. Do not dwell too much on the myths told around by people.